Hand luggage guidelines for OR Tambo International
- Keep your hand luggage with you at all times.
- Ensure that all zips and fasteners are in good working condition – baggage can move about in the overhead compartment and unsecured items may fall out.
- Don’t wrap gifts – it is possible that the security teams may wish to view them properly, and will unwrap them.
- A change of clothes, or at least underwear and a spare shirt may also be appreciated, either at the end of a long-haul flight, or if hold baggage is delayed.
- Checked in luggage guidelines
Plan your trip systematically, including packing in advance – do not leave arrangements to the last minute.
- Be sure to pack your own luggage, secure it properly (loose straps may catch in the conveyor belts).
- Do not place valuable items into checked baggage (such as cellphones, laptop computers or jewellery).
- Do not leave your luggage unattended – whether it is check-in or hand luggage.
- Report damaged or mishandled luggage immediately to your airline, before you leave the airport.
Some baggage tips
- Personalise your baggage distinctly so you can spot it easily amongst the other bags.
- Remove old baggage tags to make the scanning process easier.
- Put your name, email address and mobile number on your baggage tag.
- Do not put home address on your baggage tag.
- Secure all straps and handles on your baggage so they do not get caught in baggage conveyors or other equipment.
- Travel with small, valuable items (i.e. laptops, wallets, jewellery, etc.) as part of your hand luggage.
- Check-in at least one hour before your departure time, to make sure that both you and your baggage make the flight.
- Double check that the baggage you have is yours before leaving the baggage area.
Check Cheap Flights now to or from O.R Thambo International Airport